Private: How to Legally Change Your Name After a Divorce in NC

September 19, 2014 | Divorce

North Carolina law says that after a divorce, a woman can change her name to one of the following:

  1. Her maiden name
  2. The name of a prior, deceased husband
  3. The name of a prior husband that is living, provided she has children with that last name

If you petition the court to change your name at the time of your divorce, the court will issue an order granting your request for a name change, but this does not actually complete your name change. To legally change your name following a divorce, you will still have to present your divorce judgement to the clerk of court, get a set of forms from the clerk of court and fill them out, and then pay a fee to have your name changed.

Once your name change is approved, you should have your name changed on all important documents such as your social security card, driver’s license, bank accounts, passport, and credit cards.

If you have questions about changing your name after a divorce, a lawyer at the Palmé Law Firm in Raleigh, NC can help! Call 919-803-4512 or contact us here.